WordPress usually has the same login URL for most of the new pages that were created. Most people still keep it that way, but if you want to customize it more, you can. Here you will see how you can do that.
How to Login to WordPress Dashboard?
Before we go on with how to change the Login URL for your website, we need to see how it is typically. Usually, the URL for where you can log in is:
There you will need to put your username or email and then your password. When you are logged in successfully, you will be redirected to the admin URL:
You will have access to your WordPress Dashboard, and you can do whatever you want with your page at this point.
Why Should You Change Login URL?
As we mentioned, WordPress uses the same format for the login URL for every site, which is in the form of yourwebsite.com/wp-login.php. Changing this URL is one of the best things you can do for your page regarding security. Since if someone wants to go into your website’s login page, they need to add /wp-login.php after your website, and then they will try to gain access to it. Brute force attacks are very popular and by changing the URL you will prevent most of them.
So changing it to something more challenging will undoubtedly help a lot. Just be sure to put it at something that it will be easy for you to remember and type when you need it, and also, on the other hand, make it hard for anyone to guess. Making this change on your website is one of the best and easiest steps that you can take to protect your page.
What to Do Before Changing Login URL?
One of the best things you can do for your website when making changes to it is doing a backup. This step is crucial if you plan on changing your WordPress login URL manually. So in case you make any errors during the process of changing it, you will have the backups to fall back on and fix your mistakes.
Changing Login URL Manually
You can also change the URL manually, but this is not an advisable method since it comes with significant issues if done wrong. You can change the URL by going into your site’s file, which you can access by using File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or accessing these files through your WordPress dashboard.
- Locate the wp-login.php file on your website’s file manager and download it.
- Open it, use the search and replace option to change it from wp-login.php, to the new URL.
- Save it, and then upload it back to your website’s file manager. There this new file will replace the old one.
- Try out the new changed URL.
As for why this method is not advised, you will face issues every time WordPress itself updates since it will recreate the login files all over again. Another problem that you might encounter will be on the logout page. These are just some of the issues you might face even if you do this process correctly. You can face even more problems if you go into this without having the proper knowledge to deal with it.
How to Change WordPress Login URL with Plugin?
One of the easiest ways and most recommended methods by anyone is with the use of a plugin. There are quite a few different plugins that can do this for you without worrying that you might cause trouble in your website by going into the files of the page.
- First of all, you will need to get a new plugin; for this, you can go to the “Plugins > Add New” section of your WordPress dashboard.
- Search with related terms like “Login URL.”
- You will see various plugins like WPS Hide Login, Loginizer, Wordfence Security – Firewall & Malware Scan, All In One WP Security & Firewall, and more. Going with the highest-rated and most downloads is an easy way to select the best plugin.
For this tutorial, we will use the WPS Hide Login plugin. After you download it, you will need to activate it.
- After you have activated the plugin, you will need to go to the “Plugins” section on your dashboard, find the WPS Hide Login plugin and then click on “Settings” below it. You can also access them through “Settings > WPS Hide Login” on your WordPress dashboard.
- On the “Settings” page, you will see some general information about your pages like your website’s title, the URL, Administration Email Address, New User Default Role, the language of the site, Timezone, and Time & Date format. Below all of them, you will see a section named “WPS Hide Login.”
- You will see two parts, and the first one is “Login URL,” here you will type the new URL that you want it to be, which in our example is not-wp-login-php. The other one is “Redirection URL,” which is used to redirect people who try to access your page with the old wp-login.php that used to be on your URL.
- Click on “Save Changes” button so that all your changes can be saved, and the URL will be switched to the new one.
- Since you are already are logged in to your website, you won’t notice the difference, and if you want to try it, you will need to log out of your account.
- As you can see from the photo, the changed URL shows up, and we get the login screen. You can see that the new URL is not, in fact, the wp-login.php.
- If we try to use the old wp-login.php version, we will get an error similar to the one shown in the photo below.
As you can see, depending on the method you use, changing the WordPress login URL is either a straightforward process or a very complicated one that might ruin the page for you. Going with a plugin for this whole process is the best way you can do it, and in just a few simple steps, you will have a changed login URL on your WordPress website, and because of it, you will have a more secure page than what it used to be.